Ernest & Jennie Chadwick

Ernest & Jennie Chadwick

The Club President in 1977 was "Mr. Swimming"  William Ernest Chadwick supported by his wife Jennie Chadwick. 

Ernest had dedicated his himself to Tyldesley Swimming Club and its members, always honest, cheerful and set high standards.

As a young man he was a team swimmer and water polo player with Tyldesley and when war broke out in 1939 he joined the Royal Engineers and was posted to Nigeria, where a serious arm injury cut short his swimming and water polo career.  He was eventually discharged from the Army and in 1943 he married, herself an athlete and a club member since 1939.    At that time they were both on the club committee and worked hard for the club. 

In the late 1940's Tyldesley Swimming Club were members of Manchester & District SWPA and Bolton & District SWPA.  In those days Tyldesley only had a Boys and Mens Squad plus a water polo team.

Then Manchester & District SWPA passed a resolution that its member clubs had to have a Girls and Ladies Squad within the next 12 months.

Ernest wrote to Miss A. Green, Headmistress at Tyldesley Senior Girls School (now Sir Fred Longworth High School) asking if she would provide the names and addresse of decent girl swimmers.  Ernest & Jennie then visited parents of the girls, cycling from Atherton to Tyldesley, Astley and Boothstown.  They got their Girls and Ladies teams.

Sometimes out 3 or 4 nights a week with swimmers and the water polo team, their service to swimming in general soon got Ernest & Jennie well known and they became respected figures in the "Swimming World".

Jennie was the first lady to Referee a water polo match in the North when she took charge of the away match between Tyldesley and Trafford Park.

Ernest became the areas best known Swimming Administrator and although approached by some Associations with a view to Presidency, he refused saying "he was only interested in Tyldesley Swimming Club".  In 1975 after over 20 years he became the Club's President and in 1978 he finally relented and accepted the Presidency of Lancashire County WPSA.  He was elected President again in 1979 but due to illness stepped down and Jennie took over as the Club President in 1980.  Sadly Ernest died on 9th March 1981, aged 60 years of age.

Jennie reigned as the Club President until 1987 and remained on the committee for many more years, giving the club her years of experience, diplomacy and a wealth of swimming and water polo knowledge